by Lola Stone Contest Coordinator
(This post was updated as of 01/06/22 when it was decided that all speech contests, Area, Division and District would be held virtually.)
It’s December – ‘tis the season of cold, snow, love, laughter, family, and most of all, giving. We give gifts to our loved ones to show appreciation and love. Let’s share Toastmasters and give the gift of speech – the gift of communicating with others. Communication is the sharing of thoughts, feelings, needs, and so much more.
Every speech is a gift and sharing this gift can impact the listener or inspire them to do something. Participating in contests provides an opportunity for you to present and share your gift of communication.
December also signals the start of Contest season. Contests start at the Club level, moving to Area, and then to Division level contests. The District level competitions for the International Speech Contest and Evaluation Contest will take place during the District Conference on May 14 – 15, 2022. Information concerning the District level contests will be provided at a later date.
This year District 25 will conduct the following contests for the 2021-2022 Toastmaster year:
- International Speech Contest
- Evaluation Contest
- Your contest may be held in the format (virtually, in-person or hybrid) that works best for your members.
- You may choose to hold your contests at the same time or separately.
- If you hold a contest, you MUST follow the contest rules (Click on this year’s Speech Contest Rulebook to download the pdf.)
- Whether your club holds a contest or chooses another means to select members for the Area Contest, please send your Area Director a Notification of Contest Winners form (found in D25 Contest Resources)
Area and Division:
- All speech contests will be conducted virtually this year.
- The International Speech Contest and Evaluation Contest will be during the same event at Area & Division levels.
- Area Contests will be between February 17 and March 26, 2022.
- Division Contests will be between April 7 and April 30, 2022.
Club level contests are an enjoyable event which require full club participation and sometimes some outside help. Has your Club chosen a contest date yet? Do you have a Contest Chair? For more information on contest planning and preparation, register to attend the winter Toastmaster Leadership
Winter TLI Supplemental Session – Contest: Planning & Organizing A Contest: January 14, 2022 (TLI Registration Information).
There are many moving parts within a Toastmasters Speech Contest. Come learn what it takes to plan and run a successful event. Many key contest roles will be discussed. Bring your questions!!
Please contact your Area Director, District leader, or myself, if you’re looking for help with your event. It’s important to start planning and preparing now to run an effective, efficient, and enjoyable Club Level Contest.
I wish you and your loved ones a wonderful holiday season.